• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Michigan Jam -1977

#1 User is offline   Holy Toledo 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 March 2007 - 04:23 PM

Anyone here remember the Michigan Jam on July 2 1977?

Bob Seger headlined with Heart, Nazareth, Spirit, and The Little River Band performing before him. Advance tickets were $9, and the show started at noon. It was in Martin, Michigan which is about halfway between Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo, in a place billed as the Martin Amphitheater on the ticket.

I remember my buddy and I left Toledo to go there around 7:00AM and the traffic jams started at the intersection of US 131 and I 94 in Kalamazoo. We just followed the traffic the rest of the way untill we saw people parking along a road and walking, so figuring we must be close, we joined them. People were carrying huge coolers, one guy on each side. (we didn't bring one cause we had no idea what to expect) Well, we must have walked 3 or 4 miles ( NOTE: Tire tread sandals+4 mile hike= BAD IDEA) because it took us over an hour before we finally got to huge, sorta sunken, grassy field with a stage at one end. Don't ask me why, but were kinda thinkin the Martin Amphitheater would have like semi-circular seats or something. :lol:

People were staking out their areas with blankets and coolers and some even had beach umbrellas for the sun. By now it was about 95 degres, really humid and not a cloud in the sky. So, here we stood, with nothing but our blisterd feet. :lol:

But, WE WERE HERE!! And in about 10 more hours BOB SEGER WOULD BE ON STAGE! :P

We ended up finding a couple of nice girls willing to share their blanket with us and passed the time before the concert and between bands playing euchre and sharing the ONE thing we did bring! :lol: and getting burnt to a crisp by the sun.

Now here is where my memory gets a little "hazy". I'm pretty sure one of the bands either couldn't make it or had to be flown in by helicopter because of all the traffic jams. Can someone help me out here?

At some point in the late afternoon the concession stands ran out of everything nothing to eat or drink. After baking in the sun all day and dying of thirst we had to find a cup on the ground and some of the people who brought coolers would sell you a cup of ice for a dollar. (must have been Heart fans)

Anyhow, when Heart came on, we started slowly making our way closer to the front. By the time Bob came out there was no such thing as staked out property left and we were pretty close to the stage. The sun was going down, it wasn't as hot and BSSBB were ROCKING. During Turn the Page, Alto ended up doing his sax thing from the basket of a hot air baloon over the audience! :lol: He sure did get around back in those days! :lol:

As I recall, we got back to Toledo around 5:00AM Sunday morning. Was it worth it?

HELL YEA!!!!! :o

#2 User is offline   never4get 

• PipPip

Posted 20 March 2007 - 04:48 PM

I know I was there, but my memory about the music is pretty vague now, except for Bob and a mass of humanity. I had gotten "heat stroke" and passed out under somebody's car for part of the afternoon. Only shade I could find, I guess. Thank God no one could go anywhere. This was my first live Bob experience, among other things, and it marked me for life. My older and wiser cousin took me, along with a blanket and some provisions, as I was only 15 and had talked her into going last minute from Elkhart, IN. I remember the 131 parking lot. It should have been an hour trip, and took us nearly three hours to get to park somewhere. I played saxophone (because of Alto) and was dying to see them live. I had already worn out my copies of Live and Night Moves. I remember nearly passing out again when Alto flew over in the balloon. It was one of the most definite life-altering experiences I have ever had. Started me on my 70s journey rock n roll! Little would I know that 30 years later it would be the major cause for me to fly out to Seattle, just a couple weeks ago, to return the favor and take my same cousin to see Bob again. The first time she'd seen him since Martin's. We had a blast, not the same as MJ mind you, but it was still great for all of us to be together again! Thanks Bob, for all the wonderful memories and concert trips!
because you're different, because you're free, because you're everything deep down they wish they could be...

#3 User is offline   uperjim 

• Pip

Posted 26 March 2007 - 01:25 AM

Yep I remember-(sorta) the Michigan jam. We came in from the north on US 131 from Grand Rapids. Same huge traffic jam. We parked along the highway--people were parking on the shoulder in the median---anywhere they could. When you tell people about this today they don't beieve that we just pulled off on the grass and parked. Luckily I had enough presence to park my old Galaxie backwards up against the wire fence so it was difficult to tow. They towed many a car but left the ones that were not in the way. We walked about a mile---had plenty of beer but no water. This was back in the day that nobody carried water.

My memory is that by later in the day they lost all control and you did not even need a ticket to get in---sure wish i would have saved my stub. I heard that they had to fly Bob and the band in by helicopter.

I will never forget the encore and Alto playing from the hot air balloon.

This was one of Altos best encores but not THE best. THE best was when he did somersaults in a harness while suspended on a wire strung across the arena in Detroit. it ws either the Joe or Cobo can't remember. He "jumped' from the balcony and it took awhile to realize he was on a roller flying down this wire harnessed in so he could do somersaults ----all while playing.

Th Michigan jam as a classic though----I don't think they ever did another concet at Martin. It was called Martin Dragway back then and there was very limited seating.

I remember allot more of the 5 shows I saw on the latest tour!!!!

#4 User is offline   Firedownbelow 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 March 2007 - 01:42 PM

I was there too! And my friend that I met just a few years ago was there as well. We were talking one day and figured out we had both been there.

I remember parking along the highway (I didn't drive so I'm not sure where), walking a long way to get in. I thought it was at some sort of speedway though.... Wasn't it? Very hot day. I remember seeing pictures later of my two friends and I against the backdrop of the stage setup.

Don't remember too much else...... Wish I did.

#5 User is offline   janthewoman 

• Pip

Posted 08 April 2008 - 04:42 AM

I'd just graduated from Michigan State, and my friends bought me a ticket to the Michigan Jam as a grad present. I remember the police on U.S. 131 telling us all that we had to turn around and go home (no parking or some such nonsense), but we ignored them and drove on. I recall Seger rising in the hot air balloon at the end, quite a sight. I recently found my ticket stub ($9)--which is how I found this discussion board. I Googled Michigan Jam to see if anyone remembered....

Jan, now living in Tucson, AZ

#6 User is offline   janthewoman 

• Pip

Posted 26 April 2008 - 04:30 AM

Oops! Alto, not Seger, in the hot air balloon.

#7 User is offline   Bob49014 

• Pip

Posted 08 July 2008 - 12:06 AM

Hi ALL,
I know I was there, I kinda remember most of the day. What an experience.
The reason I'm here is to ask if anyone has any video footage,pics,etc of the concert. They said it was being taped for MTV but I never saw it aired(if it was??) so I'm asking all you old hippies out there to dig through your old memories and come up with something to show the youngsters of today what a REAL concert was all about. My grandkids don't believe that times were really like that.
If you find anything please email me at candice49014@peoplepc.com or bb49014@inbox.com

Thanks All & keep rocking

Bob49014

#8 User is offline   NativeMI616 

• Pip

Posted 05 January 2009 - 04:03 PM

I too attended the Michigan Jam many moons ago,
it's a memory I hope I never forget, it was the best
and longest concert I ever went to. I have about 17
photos that my husband took that day. I emailed
them to Bob49014 this morning, let me know if you
get them or not. :lol: I figured out how to post the
photos in here as well...enjoy reliving your past! :lol:

Attached File(s)

#9 User is offline   seegerfan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 January 2009 - 12:51 AM

Tks for posting it is nice to hear stories of long ago concerts and pics our even bettter.

#10 User is offline   NativeMI616 

• Pip

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:34 PM

Glad I could share my photos with other Seger fans, it's fun looking back!

Michigan Jam was one of the best, most memorable, concerts that I ever attended,
it was the second time seeing Bob Seger on stage, saw him 6 mos earlier...that was
on New Year's Eve 1976-77 at Wings Stadium in Kalamazoo MI. My bf, now hubby
& 2 other friends left from Grand Rapids heading south to go ring in the New Year
with Bob Seger. It was a fantastic night, stood on the floor dancing & clapping to
the tunes of Seger. It was my first New Year's Eve spent with hubby, so most of the
evening I was walking on clouds, Rockin Rollin all night long! We had no clue that
the weather outside was getting nasty, with freezing rain covering most of west MI,
on the drive home we could only go 30 mph or less, what should've taken us 45 min
to get home took us 3 hrs...on the long ride home we kept saying how the Bob Seger
concert was so worth the venture...wish I had photos to share of that moment in time!

#11 User is offline   janthewoman 

• Pip

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:13 PM

Thanks, NativeMI616, for posting these photos. I saved them to a folder to look at again and again. They brought back many memories of the good ol' days. Sigh...

#12 User is offline   MichJam 

• Pip

Posted 09 May 2009 - 08:44 PM

Wow, what a concert that was, I was 16 my mom let me take her car that day. So me and 5 of my friends pile in and head out to the concert, I lived in Ravenna, Mich. at the time. When we came close to it there was bumper to bumper traffic moving at about 2 miles per hour. I think we were about 5 miles before the exit to Martin. we stayed in the line for about a half hour and I finally just drove around it and made my way back in at the exit, we started driving down the road leading to the concert and we picked up 2 girls that were carrying vodka and orange juice in plastic milk jugs. I remember it was roasting out there, there was so many people that when you entered the gate I couldn't tell if there was a band playing or it was just a stereo system. We met up with other friends that were there and partyed with them for awhile, and we decided to go to a small town that was east of the highway, to buy some beer, it was about 5 miles away and I remember it took us 2 and a half hours to drive there and back. The traffic was crazy ,lol.
The bands were awesome, Heart, Bob Seger, Nazereth, I think there was a couple of trailors behind the stage area that said ABC on them but I can't remember for sure.

#13 User is offline   willie 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 May 2009 - 10:33 AM

View PostNativeMI616, on Jan 19 2009, 03:34 PM, said:

Glad I could share my photos with other Seger fans, it's fun looking back!

Yes indeed~~!! Great to see pics like that.

I used to buy pics from a photographer that took photos at shows at Wings Stadium in Kalamazoo. I remember he lived in Mason, MI. Haven't seen those pics in probably....30 years or so. Don't know what I ever did with them. Bummer....

To the poster who mentioned MTV filming the show. I kind of doubt it - MTV wasn't around yet.

#14 User is offline   FunkyAl 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 May 2009 - 09:41 AM

Cool pictures and stories! Enjoyed reading them. Thanks for posting!
Communism doesn't work cos people like to own stuff. Frank Zappa

#15 User is offline   lady blue 

• Pip

Posted 11 August 2009 - 06:26 PM

I too remember Michigan Jam. They were talking on the radio about woodstock which got me thinking about this concert (which was the closest thing to woodstock I have ever attended). What a great memory. I also remember one of the bands coming in by helicopter. I think it was either Heart or Bob Seger. We also parked along the shoulder of the freeway and walked a long way. Fortunately, we did not wear sandals because the one thing I can remember, like the others ,is that it was very HOT!! I also remember a lot of drugs and people openly selling them. I was really young and nieve. I had never heard of the things they were selling. However, for the most part everyone was just there to have a good time. I am sure there were fights, overdoses, etc. but I never saw any of it. I never even saw anyone strip naked (unlike woodstock). Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts and pictures.

#16 User is offline   foldsaduck 

• Pip

Posted 28 October 2009 - 05:43 AM

Wow!,What a trip down memory lane this is. ! was 19 when I and a friend decided to just hop in my car and cruse there from Grand Haven by the time we hit 131 the traffic was bumper to bumper. I remember we would take turns pushing cars foreword instead of starting and stopping our motors sharing beers and other mood enhancing elements along the way. we were shocked to find people had tents set up across from the entrance to the drag way,and had apparently spent the night before. When we first got in we were told that we could find any drug we could possibly want along the back wall next to the highway.I and my buddie bought an illegal smile for 5 bucks from a guy wearing a poncho ,( ya seamed a little over dressed to me too) and pushed my way up to get as close as possible to watch the Little River Band and Hart The lines where long for refreshments and i passed out from the heat waiting for a coke. Someone gave me a long drink of water from their canteen and stood me back up I think this happened in between Nazareth and waiting for Ufo to show up(witch they never did)and Wolfman Jacks ramblings about something or other. During the long wait for Bob to show I decided to take a nap and nodded off on a lath fence and was rudely awaken by a swift kick from a county mounty, horse and all. I rolled over on the ground and fell fast asleep till the crowd woke me up cheering at the hot air balloon. I dident think Bob was going to be the hot ticket, Hart was damn good and Nazareth was the reason we came ,But I stood there in awe as he and his band proformed .
What a showmen
What a day.
P.S. ............................... Hey has anyone seen my buddy? lol

#17 User is offline   darlene 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 November 2009 - 12:32 AM

As I read, I just smile. 'bout all I remember, is the crowd, the energy and mosty the heat! I remember having on one sided sunburn - my right side was fried. But course, that was the 70's - maybe more than just my skin was fried - haha. :lol: And no shade - anywhere!

#18 User is offline   ChristyB 

• Pip

Posted 18 November 2009 - 06:23 AM

View PostNativeMI616, on Jan 5 2009, 11:03 AM, said:

I too attended the Michigan Jam many moons ago,
it's a memory I hope I never forget, it was the best
and longest concert I ever went to. I have about 17
photos that my husband took that day. I emailed
them to Bob49014 this morning, let me know if you
get them or not. :lol: I figured out how to post the
photos in here as well...enjoy reliving your past! :lol:

Thanks for the photos. I was there too. I was only 16. I was in awe. US131 was bumper to bumper. Remember Wolfman Jack was there to MC....I didn't see anyone post this yet. I will never forget that day!!!

#19 User is offline   dansoldit 

• Pip

Posted 04 December 2009 - 07:23 PM

As I remember, it was Spirit that didn't show up.
MEMORIES:
Parking on 131 and walking at least 2 miles to the entrance.
Mud.
Pickup truck on walk in selling beers for $1 each.
First time I heard the song Barracuda.
Nazareth sucked.
Heart was Awesome.
Seger was amazing.
Walking in on a guy boning his girl in the port-a-jon. (Or someone else's girl).
The hot-air balloon solo. Wow!

View PostHoly Toledo, on Mar 20 2007, 11:23 AM, said:

Anyone here remember the Michigan Jam on July 2 1977?

Bob Seger headlined with Heart, Nazareth, Spirit, and The Little River Band performing before him. Advance tickets were $9, and the show started at noon. It was in Martin, Michigan which is about halfway between Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo, in a place billed as the Martin Amphitheater on the ticket.

I remember my buddy and I left Toledo to go there around 7:00AM and the traffic jams started at the intersection of US 131 and I 94 in Kalamazoo. We just followed the traffic the rest of the way untill we saw people parking along a road and walking, so figuring we must be close, we joined them. People were carrying huge coolers, one guy on each side. (we didn't bring one cause we had no idea what to expect) Well, we must have walked 3 or 4 miles ( NOTE: Tire tread sandals+4 mile hike= BAD IDEA) because it took us over an hour before we finally got to huge, sorta sunken, grassy field with a stage at one end. Don't ask me why, but were kinda thinkin the Martin Amphitheater would have like semi-circular seats or something. :lol:

People were staking out their areas with blankets and coolers and some even had beach umbrellas for the sun. By now it was about 95 degres, really humid and not a cloud in the sky. So, here we stood, with nothing but our blisterd feet. :lol:

But, WE WERE HERE!! And in about 10 more hours BOB SEGER WOULD BE ON STAGE! :P

We ended up finding a couple of nice girls willing to share their blanket with us and passed the time before the concert and between bands playing euchre and sharing the ONE thing we did bring! :lol: and getting burnt to a crisp by the sun.

Now here is where my memory gets a little "hazy". I'm pretty sure one of the bands either couldn't make it or had to be flown in by helicopter because of all the traffic jams. Can someone help me out here?

At some point in the late afternoon the concession stands ran out of everything nothing to eat or drink. After baking in the sun all day and dying of thirst we had to find a cup on the ground and some of the people who brought coolers would sell you a cup of ice for a dollar. (must have been Heart fans)

Anyhow, when Heart came on, we started slowly making our way closer to the front. By the time Bob came out there was no such thing as staked out property left and we were pretty close to the stage. The sun was going down, it wasn't as hot and BSSBB were ROCKING. During Turn the Page, Alto ended up doing his sax thing from the basket of a hot air baloon over the audience! :lol: He sure did get around back in those days! :lol:

As I recall, we got back to Toledo around 5:00AM Sunday morning. Was it worth it?

HELL YEA!!!!! :o

#20 User is offline   dansoldit 

• Pip

Posted 04 December 2009 - 07:24 PM

Remember the Michigan II. The one that didn't happen.
We had tix, and they didn't cancel it till the morning of the show. Bastards!

View Postdansoldit, on Dec 4 2009, 02:23 PM, said:

As I remember, it was Spirit that didn't show up.
MEMORIES:
Parking on 131 and walking at least 2 miles to the entrance.
Mud.
Pickup truck on walk in selling beers for $1 each.
First time I heard the song Barracuda.
Nazareth sucked.
Heart was Awesome.
Seger was amazing.
Walking in on a guy boning his girl in the port-a-jon. (Or someone else's girl).
The hot-air balloon solo. Wow!

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users