Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Where is Fire Lake?

#1 User is offline   Blinky409 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 June 2005 - 09:44 AM

Does anybody happen to know where Fire Lake is? That's one of the coolest songs Seger has performed.. Just curious, really..

#2 User is offline   segertribute.com 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Location:Atlanta, GA... (but, I think I'm goin' to Katmandu :-)
  • Interests:Rock & Roll... old school... Seger style !!!

Posted 24 June 2005 - 05:01 PM

Blinky409, on Jun 24 2005, 05:44 AM, said:

Does anybody happen to know where Fire Lake is?...
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hEh bLInKy...

In this case, I'd have to say 'Fire Lake' is on the other side of the river Styx. :lol: I think Seger uses 'Fire Lake' as a metaphor for Hell, and the basic message of the song is a certain lifestyle's temptations and their possible consequences.

Seger was always the best about bringing out morality issues, *without* sounding 'preachy' or judgemental... like any song, this one is open for interpertation... below are the lyrics to 'Fire Lake' for us to ponder.

Fire Lake
Words and Music by Bob Seger

Who's gonna ride that chrome three wheeler
Who's gonna make that first mistake
Who wants to wear those gypsy leathers
All the way to Fire Lake
Who wants to break the news about Uncle Joe
You remember Uncle Joe
He was the one afraid to cut the cake
Who wants to tell poor Aunt Sarah
Joe's run off to Fire Lake
Joe's run off to Fire Lake

Who wants to brave those bronze beauties
Lying in the sun
With their long soft hair falling
Flying as they run
Oh they smile so shy
And they flirt so well
And they lay you down so fast
Till you look straight up and say
Oh lord
Am I really here at last

Who wants to play those eights and aces
Who wants a raise
Who needs a stake
Who wants to take that long shot gamble
And head out to Fire Lake
Head out
Who wants to go to Fire Lake
And head out
Who wants to go to Fire Lake
Head out
Out to Fire Lake
Who's gonna do it

#3 User is offline   Gazza 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 June 2005 - 08:53 PM

I read an article sometime ago that referred to this song.In fact Fire Lake is Silver Lake in Michigan.That I do know.There is a CD in circulation which includes music and interview on the making of Against The Wind,the album.I have not listened to it in a while but in that interview Seger explains the message behind the song.Hope this helps.

#4 User is offline   segertribute.com 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Rock &amp; Roll... old school... Seger style !!!

Posted 24 June 2005 - 09:27 PM

Gazza, on Jun 24 2005, 04:53 PM, said:

... There is a CD in circulation which includes music and interview on the making of Against The Wind,the album...
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Gazza...

Seger did several of the "In The Studio" interviews for The Album Network Radio Show... well known Dallas, TX radio DJ 'Redbeard' did the one for 'Against The Wind'.

I don't have a copy (yet) but this may be the interview you mention. Do any of you guys out there have a copy or remember this interview? It would be cool to know what he was actually thinking when he wrote this tune.

"The Fire Down Below" *is* about the world's oldest profession... isn't it ?!?

:lol:

#5 User is offline   jdaunt 

• PipPip

Posted 25 June 2005 - 12:00 AM

I've read the Silver Lake story too, but he thought Fire Lake sounded better. Silver Lake is in Fenton, Michigan, it's between Flint and Ann Arbor. It's a pretty nice lake, but not as big or popular (at least now, I don't know about when Bob was young) as Lake Fenton which is also nearby it.

#6 User is offline   shakeydavey 

• PipPip

Posted 26 June 2005 - 03:40 AM

Silver Lake was THE destination when cutting class from the western burbs of Detroit back in the 60s.

#7 User is offline   RealLove4BSeger 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 June 2005 - 06:36 AM

Blinky409, on Jun 24 2005, 05:44 AM, said:

Does anybody happen to know where Fire Lake is?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Anywhere you find temptations of the flesh! Bronze beauties lying in the sun, has surely tempted Uncle Joe away from poor Aunt Sarah, & if it is inspired by an actual place, it could be anywhere on earth & it would be the same thing. Hell-fire & damnation! :lol: Who's going to make that first mistake?

So I tend to agree with segertribute on this one, it's about pursuing guilty pleasures & the consequences of Adam & Eve's original sin (you know the one, eating the apple, realizing they were naked & then came fornication! MY, oh my, where would we ever be without S-E-X? None of us would have ever been born! :lol: ) They were innocent as babes up to that point - leave it up to a serpent & one delicious bite of "forbidden fruit" to put the idea in their heads!

Who's going to do it? Who's going to take that long shot gamble & run off to fire lake? Who's going to play those eights & aces? Joe's run off to Fire Lake!
The moral of the story: if you play with fire, you're definitely going to get BURNED! :lol:

Sorry guys,
The devil made me do it! :lol: :lol: :o

#8 User is offline   Gazza 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 June 2005 - 10:21 AM

To use Bob Segers explanation taken from an "In The Studio" broadcast about the the making of "Against The Wind."

Firstly; Against The Wind, Seger regards as one of his most fulfilling albums,in terms of songwriting.The tracks were spontaneous and it was one of his favourite albums to work on.He allowed himself to work in different directions as far as the songs were concerned.Seger was far more relaxed and offhand with the writing and described it as having a much less desperate feel than Stranger or Night Moves.More "offhand" in his words.It was the first album Seger had done,in which he wrote all the material himself.

Fire Lake was the first single but it had been written 7 years earlier for the Beautiful Loser album and had been put aside.The lyrics for the single were very unique and different from anything they had done before.Thats why they chose it as the first single.

Seger says "its about taking risks,is what the lyrics are about.About risking love,about chucking it all, about heading off with a bunch of wild people,what ever.It is one of my favourite lyrics down through the years.And the track is very unusual as its a sort of Rand B meets Country kind of thing.Then of course I was fortunate to have my friends the Eagles doing the backing vocals for me.I really wanted it to be the first single but I never thought Capitol would agree to it but Punch talked them into it and it became a huge hit.What I liked about it is that it broke new ground for us, and it showed that we were unafraid to push the envelope from what we were doing before which was basically hot rock and roll with a few balads thrown in."

So, thats his public comment on the single, Fire Lake.
I hope this helps explain the meaning of this song and some of the background behind it.

#9 User is offline   segertribute.com 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Rock &amp; Roll... old school... Seger style !!!

Posted 30 June 2005 - 06:56 AM

Gazza, on Jun 29 2005, 06:21 AM, said:

To use Bob Segers explanation taken from an "In The Studio" broadcast about the the making of "Against The Wind."...
... Seger says "its about taking risks, is what the lyrics are about. About risking love, about chucking it all, about heading off with a bunch of wild people, what ever."
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Gazza...

Hmmm... after reading the above statement... I don't feel too far off from what Seger intended. Perhaps the risk/reward scenerio Seger speaks of isn't necessarily 'other-wordly'... but it could also be percieved that way.

Thanks for looking it up... it's been kinda cool dustin' off this old chestnut!

:lol:

#10 User is offline   RealLove4BSeger 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 June 2005 - 08:24 PM

Taking risks, yep, that works for me, too! Free to break the chains of conventional "rules" & take off, wild & free, without inhabitions!

Kind of a (broad-minded) parallel to what we were originally thinking - I just go with the flow alot of times where music lyrics are concerned, they could be interpreted so many ways!

It's always good to have friends like you, Gazza, to set us straight!

#11 User is offline   Wendy Sue 

• PipPip
  • Interests:Music, nature, walking, biking, reading &amp; boating

Posted 05 July 2005 - 02:05 AM

jdaunt, on Jun 25 2005, 12:00 AM, said:

I've read the Silver Lake story too, but he thought Fire Lake sounded better. Silver Lake is in Fenton, Michigan, it's between Flint and Ann Arbor. It's a pretty nice lake, but not as big or popular (at least now, I don't know about when Bob was young) as Lake Fenton which is also nearby it.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He should write a song about Hamlin Lake, Michigan. Guaranteed to inspire a platinum hit!!!!!!!!!!!!

#12 User is offline   buckeyebobfan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 November 2006 - 02:50 PM

View PostBlinky409, on Jun 24 2005, 04:44 AM, said:

Does anybody happen to know where Fire Lake is? That's one of the coolest songs Seger has performed.. Just curious, really..

Torch Lake? Just east of Grand Traverse Bay.

#13 User is offline   rv245 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 November 2006 - 03:49 PM

View Postshakeydavey, on Jun 25 2005, 10:40 PM, said:

Silver Lake was THE destination when cutting class from the western burbs of Detroit back in the 60s.

Even for those of us from the Flint area. There was a bunch of places, Flushing Park and Richfield Park comes to mind along with Silver Lake.
IPB Image

I come from the land of the ice and snow,
From the midnight sun where the hot springs blow

#14 User is offline   wetlovesponge 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Love Rock &amp; Roll, Love to Ride, Have a good day 2-Day and a better day tomorrow~~~ I Live Life 4 2-Day as tomorrow may never come!

Posted 13 November 2006 - 01:38 AM

View PostBlinky409, on Jun 24 2005, 04:44 AM, said:

:lol: Blinky.
I have a Fire Lake~~~~however, it is not the one that BS & SBB play on, Just me, while listening to the sound of his AWESOME music!!

#15 User is offline   RealMeanBottle 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:48 AM

BUMP
This is a valid enough discussion that I thought I'd bump it up so people who haven't seen it, or forgotten about it, can read it.
RMB

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users